Thanksgiving is about more than turkey. It’s about more than football. It’s about taking the time to thank God for the friends, family, and experiences he’s given you. To help you out getting the conversations going, here are some history facts, trivia, and other fun stuff!
Thanksgiving Trivia (Answers at the bottom)
1) The first Thanksgiving was celebrated by the pilgrims in the fall of 16______?
2) Where was the first Thanksgiving feast held?
3) How many days did that feast last?
4) How many pilgrims were on the Mayflower?
5) In 1863, what president declared Thanksgiving would be the last Thursday of November?
6) What company has sponsored the Thanksgiving Day parade since 1924?
7) What cartoon character was featured as the first oversized parade balloon in 1927?
8) What city does the parade take place in?
9) What is always the last entry in the parade?
10) What founding father rallied for the turkey to be the national bird?
11) The name “Tom” turkey was used to tease which president?
12) Which state produces the most turkeys each year?
13) How fast can a wild turkey run?
14) How many turkeys does the president pardon each year?
15) How many calories does the average American consume on Thanksgiving?
16) In A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving, what does Snoopy set up as a dinner table?
17) In A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving, who gets the larger piece of the broken wishbone?
18) In Planes, Trains and Automobiles, what city is Neal trying to get home to?
19) What football team has played a game every year since 1934?
20) What is the day after Thanksgiving called, marking the start of holiday shopping?
Questions to Ask Thanksgiving Guests:
- What is your favorite Thanksgiving memory?
- Finish the thought: Thanksgiving is not complete until…
- What is the tastiest thing on a Thanksgiving table?
- What traditional Thanksgiving food do you avoid?
- Which is better on Thanksgiving: Food or Football?
- Where have you spent most of your Thanksgivings?
- Do you like to watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving parade? Why or Why not?
- What are you thankful for this Thanksgiving?
Today (November 27th) in History
- 1885 – Earliest photograph of a meteor shower taken
- 1895 – Alfred Nobel’s will establishes Nobel Prizes
- 1910 – NY’s Penn Station opens as world’s largest railway terminal
- 1911 – Audience throws vegetables at actors for 1st recorded time in US
- 1924 – In New York City, the first Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade is held
- 1934 – Bank robber Baby Face Nelson dies in a shoot-out with the FBI
- 1941 – Joe DiMaggio is named AL MVP
- 1948 – Honda 1st opens in America
- 1960 – Gordie Howe becomes 1st NHLer to score 1,000 points
- 1961 – Gordie Howe becomes 1st to play in 1,000 NHL games
- 1962 – 1st test flight of the Boeing 727 takes place
- 1983 – Colombian jetliner Boeing 747 crashes in Madrid killing 181
- 1991 – Undertaker beats Hulk Hogan to become new WWF champ
- 2005 – The first partial human face transplant is completed in Amiens, France
- 2006 – Baywatch actress Pamela Anderson divorces singer Kid Rock
Famous Birthdays Today
- 1940 – Bruce Lee (actor: Enter the Dragon, “The Green Hornet”)
- 1942 – Jimi Hendrix (musician)
- 1953 – Curtis Armstrong (actor: Revenge of the Nerds, Moonlighting)
- 1955 – Bill Nye (actor: Bill Nye, the Science Guy)
- 1961 – Steve Oedekerk (director: Ace Ventura 2, writer: Bruce Almighty)
- 1964 – Robin Givens (actor: Boomerang, “Head of the Class”)
1) 1621; 2) Plymouth, MA; 3) Three days; 4) 102; 5) Lincoln, 6) Macy’s; 7) Felix the Cat; 8) New York City; 9) Santa Claus; 10) Benjamin Franklin; 11) Thomas Jefferson; 12) Minnesota; 13) 25 mph; 14) Two; 15) 4,500; 16) A Ping-Pong table; 17) Woodstock; 18) Chicago; 19) Detroit Lions; 20) Black Friday
Have a Happy Thanksgiving!